The Land of Revi — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Atropos and Deimos
Deimos lets himself fall a little behind, stepping into line next to Atropos. He takes in the sights and sounds of nature as they continue on the road to Anfeli. "It's peaceful, isn't it Atropos?" He asks and looks at his good friend. He frowns slightly, lowering his voice, "I'm going to cut to the point, Atropos. What happened last night? I don't want to point fingers at any one person and lay blame, but between your strange silence and Dravos' anger, no one seems willing to say anything."

Atropos' breath catches, and he sighs. "Would you like the long version, or the short?" He says finally, quietly.

Deimos looks ahead again, "If I'm going to move forward I need to know everything. I need to know what happened."

Atropos closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. "A traveler approached us, on watch. Begging for food. Dravos denied him, I offered for him to come back in the morn, when we had our food unpacked."
His breath is shaking slightly now. "We heard a noise, from the animals. Dravos went to check, I stayed with the man. He was not aggressive, but he ignored me, until there was a cry. Too high pitch to be Dravos."
"I... Acted rashly. Fired a bolt, missed, as he sprinted past me, and, fearing a berserk state, I," Atropos chokes slightly on his words, the echos of pain closing his throat. "I ended his life, on the spot. The other turned out to be the girl, you were there for the burial. Dravos and I fought the rest of our shift." He sighs again, heavy. "Now we are here."

Deimos grimaces slightly. He moves to take Aropos' hand, if he lets him. "I'm sorry, Atropos," He sighs a bit, "I figured it was bad, but..." He blinks a few times. Was that his first kill? Usually, I'm there to... "If it helps... I remember my first time. How... rushed it was. It wasn't clean. I had my reasons for it but..." ...but I wasn't always a hero. He gulps, incapable of speaking the last words out loud.

Atropos' eyes glisten at the recollection. His hand twitches away, reflexively, at the touch, but he takes Deimos' hand in his own, cold one.
"Did you feel it? When they died?" He asks quietly.

Deimos hesitates before he responds; "I don't think so, at least... well. Maybe..." He trails off a bit, wincing as he recalls that day; "It happened so quickly that I hadn't really... understood what had happened until it was over. There was a pain, in my heart, as I looked at his dead body on the ground. I don't think I... felt his death, but as I realized what I had done I..." His face darkens for a moment.

"When I severed the threads, holding him together, I knew I would come into contact with his life, his soul. It was required for the working." Atropos blinks, trying to clear his eyes. "I did not know how much it would hurt. How hard it would thrash."

Deimos squeezes Atropos' hand softly as he explains what happened. "With his... soul?" Deimos asks, not quite sure if what he was hearing was correct.

Atropos looks up at Deimos. "I... believe so. At least, that is how I understand the texts. The grimoires I have studied from have been, frustratingly unclear on the matter of what exactly is being manipulated." He blinks a couple of times, trying to clear his eyes.

Deimos furrows his brow as he listens to Atropos. "Magic is a strange, strange thing indeed." He says softly, though he focuses more on walking forward. "I don't quite understand, but I do understand how much killing can stain the soul. It stays with you, forever." He frowns. "I can't even say it gets easier- but it feels like it does, in the moment."

Perhaps, a part of him will stay with me. How many fragments, how many souls, can I hold before I collapse? Atropos ponders quietly. After a moment, he speaks aloud: "I truly hope not. I do not wish to feel that ever again, however, I wish even more for it to never get easier. I do not want it to ever be easy for me to kill." His mind wanders back to the previous night. To his fight with Dravos.

Deimos nods once more, and sighs. "We will see. But I'll be there for you next time, I promise." He says, and turns his head to look at Atropos again; "Thank you for telling me."

"Thank you for listening." Atropos rests his head on Deimos' arm, for just a moment, before righting himself again. "Now, unless there is aught else you'd like to ask, let us catch up, we have fallen far enough behind."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by BartNL »

Info
Can Dravos spend his time using his skills to make some extra money? Find a craftsman that looks very busy and offer his services?
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Fialova »

Dravos
It takes little time for you to determine from the locals that the place to be in the city for artisanal work is a somewhat central district of the city known as the 'reach'. You find it to be a somewhat large area, situated alongside the western bank of the river and spanning from Jiacus Square in the south to the city's northern wall, its westernmost border being the major road you entered the city along, from its north gate. However, while this area features a large number of artisanal workshops, they are not all created equal.
Mechanics
Make a Connect/Wis check to locate local artisans who made need some skilled hands for the time being. Also, if you have a preference for type of work, please provide the specific type of artisan you'd be looking for. Otherwise, you will just be given an assortment.
Lyseros
In your attempt to find a place to stay, you will need to determine which direction you are headed. While you do not yet know which parts of the city cater to which aspects of city life, you can choose to wander in whichever direction you like. Below is the map of the city absent any context. Your part entered from the city's north gate, which is located near the '11' on the map. The main road from this gate follows the blue dotted line that ends at the '1' on the map. The main two locations you'd likely head from here are to the districts marked either '4' or '5', though you may choose to have him wander further in his search if you so choose. Once you've decided where to go, also provide us with a Connect/Wis check and I'll let you know what he finds.
Anfeli 4 (small).png
Cassia
The man shrugs at your refusal to consider a purchase further, but seems mostly unfazed by it, seeming yo accept your explanation. He gently strokes the small goatee on his chin as he ponders, before saying, "don't really see that sort of thing in the Square. Might have to head over to the Reach for that. Might be some statue-makers over there."

"Nah," chimes in the woman on the ground. who looks up from her inspections to face the man. She looks tired, but otherwise kind, and continues with, "no statues over there, 'least not ones already made like she wants. Ain't you listening?" She turns now towards you, still maintaining her spot on the ground. "You wanna check Belvia or Almandis. All the really fancy stuff goes through there."

"And here, of course," the man continues, offering a wide toothy grin. "Lots of fine goods in Jiacus, like our fine selection here," the man continues, motioning once again to the array of vases on display. 

"Hun, she clearly knows her stuff, you can drop it," the woman says to him after rolling her eyes. "Over west, Belvia or Almandis, that's your best bet." As she speaks, you notice a crowd beginning to form near where you are now, gathering around a traveling musician who seems set to give a performance in the Square.
OOC
From your time in town, you've learned a little bit about each of the major districts. Belvia, from what you've heard, is the wealthy part of town. The richest of the city's citizens are located there, and, from this conversation, apparently also some of the finest art dealers. You have yet to have much reason to go there, so all you know of it is speculation based on local gossip.

Port Almandis, also know simply as 'the port' or just 'Almandis', is a place you have a little experience with, however. It serves as the main port to the city, and where most of its imports - including anything from other Revi cities - would first arrive to Anfeli. You'd have spent a little time here in your previous attempts at locating your prize, though your lack of connections have made it difficult to gain any headway.
Stolos
The road you enter the city from leads directly into Jiacus Square, with the wide thoroughfare eventually ending in the huge open space that makes up the Square itself. The square consists of a large, open semi-rectangular space, flanked on all sides by buildings, all at least two stories in height. One seems to be Anfeli's primary judicial area, which features a large multi-story building complex surrounded by a set of smaller walls than the main city walls, though no less imposing. Another - the largest single building by far - stands directly to your left as you enter the square, and is easily recognizable as the city's main temple to Ervemnon.

While you've seen the square crowded before in your previous visits, you find that this time it is more packed than you've ever seen it, featuring merchant stalls, parked carts, and an absolute abundance of people. You find locals debating the local politics outside of the citadel's walls, merchants - both local and foreign - peddling their wares as they shout over one another, and the numerous others who are passing through or seeking to visit one of the nearby buildings or merchants. What you see less of, however, are cohorts. With the upcoming Calling of the Heir, you can only assume that there are no shortage of other cohorts within the city, suggesting most have already found work in the chaotic and overcrowded city.

You are easily able to find a relatively empty spot to perform, pulling up a crate from an unattended cart to stand on before a crowd notices and starts to form around you.
Mechanics
Make a Perform/Cha check to entertain the onlookers and earn your tips.
Atropos & Deimos
It takes little time to find out from the locals that the best collection of times in the city is located within the temple to Ervemnon, which conveniently sits at the end of the road you entered the city from, right next to Jiacus Square. It is not a long walk to reach the temple's entrance at the road's end, and before you enter you notice the hustle and bustle of the Square further down, the area seeming jam packed with citizens and foreigners going about their business.

Once inside, you find this temple barely resembles those you are used to seeing in the smaller towns and hamlets of your small nation. A long, tall hallway leads in a straight line from the entrance, ending in a large room with a statue of Ervemnon standing watch over the entire corridor. Off to each side are doorways leading to the various services the temple offers, including a school, a small hospital, a public bath, a dormitory for the elderly with no one to care for them, and - most importantly, for your purposes - a library.

As you make your way down the corridor, you find that the temple is quite busy. You see children rushing about, priests and custodians performing their duties, locals offering prayer, and all sorts of others. Reaching the door to the library and opening it, you find that the inside is serene and quiet, and much less crowded. Racks of scrolls form rows within the dark, silent room, and a handful of librarians move slowly and with purpose with candles and more scrolls in tow. One of them spots you and approaches, a kind smile on her face.

"Hello, friends," the woman asks, setting the scrolls underneath her arms on a nearby shelf while keeping the candle in her other hand. She is middle-aged, with grey and brown hair that is more grey than brown by now, and she wears long, simple robes that appear worn with age. "Have you come seeking to study with a tutor, or are you merely looking to peruse our collection?" she asks, glancing slowly between each of you, her smile not fading as she does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by greysigil »

Atropos & Deimos
"Quite the temple, is it not?" Atropos says, leaning slightly into Deimos so the other man can hear his soft voice through the din, as they walk through the great hall.

Arriving in the library, his tired eyes widen slightly, at the volume of volumes among the shelves. Stars above, I have not seen so many tomes since the Academy's library. I had forgotten how much I missed the smell of parchment. He muses in awe. Hearing the woman's voice, his eyes refocus and look in her direction. "Merely browsing." He responds, mirroring the librarian's smile. "If you have a section for mystical texts, I would love to start there."
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Brandys - #50955f
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814

Paused
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
Eintei
Registered for: 5 months

Post by Eintei »

Cassia
The moment the woman starts speaking, Cassia loses most of her interest in the man, who by now she's sure is just here to sell cheap stuff to visitors for the Calling of the Heir. Yes, exactly. I do know my stuff. Thank you.

She listens to what the woman has to say. Almandis was a bust last time, so Belvia it is. "Interesting. I haven't been to Belvia yet, but now I'm curious. Do you have any names of shops or traders I should try first?" She notices that she needs to raise her voice a bit and realizes there is a crowd gathering nearby. She looks over her shoulder and catches a glimpse of a musical instrument. But first, I'll just take a bit of a break. Not like the Belvia district is going anywhere.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

It has been some time, Anfeli. And how you've changed since then. Lyseros ponders as he strolls through the city, taking in the new sights and sounds and weaving through the crowds. Let us only hope one of the nicer inns still has rooms. I'd quite like to sleep on more than a bed of straw.
Mechanics
Head to 5
Wis/Connect: [2d6]=9

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Atropos & Deimos
Deimos smiles as his friend slips into a more comfortable state of mind. He deserves this. The travel was not easy for him; I hope it helps him to relax. He thinks to himself and nods sheepishly at the woman's question. "Just here to browse." He says softly, keeping his voice down to be respectful of the others enjoying their reading.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Artisans a-plenty. No to be a cobbler again, miller is too much work for too little pay. Bowyer? At least I haven't tried that one before, and having some experience as a carpenter should help my case. And I do have a good eye for what makes a decent bow.
Mechanics
Wis/Connect: [2d6]=7+1=8

Last edited by BartNL on Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

With the crowd forming, Stolos breaks out his lyre and clears his throat before beginning his performance. He sings some of his latest work, songs of the cohort's past exploits, inserting himself more prominently into events and playing up the significance of the events themselves. Hopefully getting our name out there will help drum up some work, he thinks as he plays for the masses in the square.
Mechanics
Cha/Perform: [2d6+2]=5+2=7

Reroll: [2d6+2]=9+2=11

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Atropos & Deimos
The woman's smile finally fades somewhat at Atropos' mention of mythical texts, and she speaks again, her town now more consoling. "Ah, I see," she begins, as she places her free hand underneath the candleholder. "My apologies, but our rarer texts are typically reserved for only our most proven scholars, or those who support the temple via donations. I've not seen you before, so I am afraid you do not meet those criteria." It is clear from her new facial expression that her apology is heartfelt, and not simply the act of someone seeking money. After a brief pause, she speaks again.

"Do you have any sort of knowledge or expertise you can prove that might allow the elders to make an exception?" she asks, seeming to perk up slightly at her own idea. "Or, if not, perhaps a donation would alleviate their worries about a stranger perusing such scrolls."
OOC
At this point you have a few ways you can proceed. You can attempt to convince the temple scholars of your own academic prowess via skill check, offer to donate money to the temple, or seek to sneak to the section you desire absent permission. You are free to think up other ideas if something comes to you as well. 
Cassia
"Nah," the woman replies, shaking her head at the request for names. "Too pricey for me, got no business over there personally. But the Square's packed lately, I'm sure there's some rich folk who'll have some ideas." As you take your leave of the stall and make your way towards the gathering crowd, the minstrel produces his lyre and begins a set of several songs, all seeming to tell tales of his exploits along with his cohort companions.

One song tells the tale of a strict jenore refusing to allow her daughter to train in swordsmanship, despite her worries of a coming invasion. The minstrel then regales how he trained the daughter in secret, just in time for the woman's fears to come true and for the two of them to jointly need to save her family from the raiders of the villainous bandit king. 

The next tells the story of a chance meeting between the cohort and a large army on a road through a forest. The army refuses passage of the cohort without tribute to aid in a war to come, but the minstrel is able to inspire camaraderie through song, causing the armies commanders to weep for their greed and allow the cohort to pass with newfound respect.

The last song is a tragedy, telling the sad, somber tale of a pair of peasants unjustly slain by villains along the road to Anfeli, and the cohort's vow to bring said villains to justice. The song is just reaching its climax, when it is interrupted by a commotion coming from across the Square...
Lyseros
You initially follow Dravos into the Reach - the main artisan's quarter of Anfeli - before your paths quickly diverge. After a half hour or so of searching, you learn of a few local inns and watering holes of varying cost and quality. The first is Pentius' Pottage, a large boarding house-style place near the city's north gate, which serves to house local farmers, artisan's apprentices, and poorer travelers who need an affordable (if cramped) place to stay. The next is Anfeli And Felix, a popular tavern with an apparently eccentric owner, which also offers a couple modest rooms. The last is a more upscale inn an tavern called the Wilted Rose, situated a short walk from Jiacus Square, and promising some of the finest food and accommodations the city has to offer.
Dravos
After a half hour or so of asking around, you learn of a handful of local artisan who have all been seeking skilled hands to aid in their businesses of late. The first you hear of is a local fletcher by the name of Balbus, who has been inundated with orders for arrows by the local hunters, who in turn are overflowing with orders for meat to feed the many visitors to the city. The next artisan in need is Helvia, a local farrier who has been struggling to keep up with demand for new horseshoes, again due to all of the travelers arriving by horse and seeking to see them re-shoed. After her is Otho, a local wheelwright in need of carpenters to aid him in meeting the increased demand for replacement wagon wheels from, again, the main travelers and merchants filling the city at this time. The last is Prisca, a local artisan who has revealed little of her needs, but offers promising pay compared to the others. 
OOC
Your search has revealed multiple options, and each option promises variable difficulty and pay for the work required. Below, you can see a breakdown of roughly what to expect from each job:

Balbus, Fletcher - low skill need, lower pay
Otho, Wheelwright - average skill need, average pay
Halvia, Farrier - higher skill need, higher pay
Prisca, Unknown - unknown skill need, higher pay
Stolos
You begin to play and sing to much excitement and applause from the gathered crowd. Your exaggerated, and even doctored versions of the cohort's exploits do a lot to please the onlookers, who frequently cheer at mention of your own heroic exploits in the face of your imagined adversity. As you perform, the crowd continues to grow and grow, soon encompassing a large portion of the surrounding space in the Square. Midway through your third tune, however, your performance is interrupted by a commotion coming from across the Square...
Cassia & Stolos
All activity in Jiacus Square seems to come to a halt at the commotion and, turning towards the city's west gate, it is quickly apparent why that is. Entering the Square from the road towards said gate, a large procession cuts its way through the crowd towards the city's citadel. As it draws closer to your position, you can see that the procession is clearly arriving from the capital city.

At its helm is a legate of Aex Vexillum, the most famed cohort in the land, which is tasked with no less than the protection of the Ervemnos line and the all of the Jenore that venture into the capital city of Revi itself. Following him are eight of Aes Vexillum's elite centurions, followed by another few dozen legionnaires. The cohort members are followed by a half dozen beautiful, finely-carved wagons, seating 2-4 people in fine garb each. Behind this are another dozen or so more typical wagons, loaded to the brim with barrels, crates, and sacks of supplies, and behind that a couple dozen servants trail behind. Last comes another few dozen legionnaires, with the final one in the procession carrying a large banner featuring the Aex Vexillum crest.

The crowd watches in near silence at first, as the procession slowly makes its way through the crowd and through the gates into the citadel. Among the finely-dressed passengers of the intricate wagons, you are able to spot both Jenore Iztrun and Jenore Sirheo, the priestess and scholar from the capital who are tasked with performing the upcoming Calling of the Heir ceremony. As it becomes clear just who is arriving, the crowd's silence slowly grows into murmurs, then shouts and cheers, and finally a proper roar of excitement. The Jenore in question stand and wave to the gathered crowd shortly before reaching their destination, sitting again just as they are set to pass through the gatehouse. As the procession slowly tapers off and the last legionnaires make their way inside the citadel's walls, so too does the crowd steadily die down and return to the more dull roar of chatter it had been before its arrival.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

A boarding house would only serve to increase our discomforts, especially in this environment. Lyseros strides past the building, shaking his head to himself. Perhaps the others will not mind, but I certainly would. He keeps it in the back of his mind as he continues, taking note of Anfeli & Felix as well. He raises a brow as the Wilted Rose and makes his way toward it. Fine food and drink, and perhaps clients. It is worth a look, yes?

Eintei

Post by Eintei »

"Well, then I'll try that. Thanks for the info!" Cassia waves at the woman, then rushes off to go and see the minstrel. She gets distracted by music more often than she'd like and she's tried to remember the faces of the ones near the Wilted Rose. This one seems new, and so she settles in, wondering how good he'll be.

The lyrics seem a bit dramatic for her taste. He sings about a cohort, though, which draws her attention. Not sure how much of it is true, but if he is indeed part of a cohort... But first, let's just enjoy the music, she decides. Dramatic lyrics aside, he is good, and she feels herself itching to dance. By the time she's made the decision to do so, however, he is interrupted by a commotion nearby and she immediately turns to see what's happening.

She watches the procession pass by, eyes darting from the Aex Vexillum to both Jenores and back to the cohort. She's seen all of them before back home, albeit from a distance, and it feels nice to have see something familiar here in Anfeli. She can't help but cheer along when the Jenores pass by her, marveling at the beautiful wagons and the fine clothes. Maybe I should look into the career path to becoming a Jenore, she thinks, and then grins at herself. But I guess to become one of them you have to actually have some skills.

As the market slowly returns to its normal level of business. Cassia takes a deep breath. Let's do this. She walks up to the minstrel, greeting him with a smile. "Hi there!" she says cheerfully. "I just wanted to tell you that you were really good just now. It's a shame that procession so rudely interrupted you." I hope he has at least a sliver of the ego most of mom's minstrel friends have - no idea how to approach this otherwise.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by greysigil »

Atropos listens intently, his unbothered expression masking the slight annoyance in the back of his head. It is fine, she means no insult by it. You are new in this town, it is natural to need to be vetted. I just wish she were not so, condescending, about it.

"Of course. A moment, please." He responds, reaching for his bag and producing his Grimoire, opening it to a seemingly random page. "This is my personal tome, with all my past and current notes. Ah! Here we are. See, this section is on the flow of aetheric and thaumaturgic energy in the body,--" He flips a page. "--And how those currents can be manipulated to create discrete material effects in the body." He glances at the woman, gauging her reaction.
Mechanics/OOC
Magic/Int: [2d6+2]=7+2=9
OOC: If this woman has knowledge herself of magic, then the formulae on those two pages are for harmless spells, Apprehend the Arcane Form and Velocitous Imbuement.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
Brandys - #50955f
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814

Paused
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Thank you, I can't fault their flair for the dramatic I suppose," Stolos replies to the woman that approaches him from the crowd, slinging his lyre across his back, knowing he is unlikely to win the crowd back after the commotion caused by the Jenores' transit of the square.

"Although it is a shame these fine people will miss out on the rest of my songs," he adds, stepping down from his perch atop the wooden crate that had been his stage.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

OOC
Dravos picks Otho the wheelwright
Eintei

Post by Eintei »

"Well, their loss," Cassia shrugs. "You and your cohort sound impressive, though. Did you arrive recently? I don't recall having seen you play before."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"We arrived today. It has been some time since I've been to Anfeli, but I am quite well known in several other cities," Stolos replies boastfully. With the woman showing no signs of being done talking to him, he starts to eye her with a degree of suspicion.

Here it comes, she must want something. Everybody does.
OOC
Did I earn any tips?

Eintei

Post by Eintei »

"I don't doubt it. That's a shame, though - I must've missed you back in Revi, then." She smiles at him again, but eventually decides that she can't stretch out this small talk forever.

"Okay, so... while I did sincerely enjoy your music, I also approached you with a bit of an ulterior motive," she tells the bard, shooting him an apologetic look. "I was hoping you could take me to your cohort's leader. I'm currently on the road for some business and... well, let's say I wasn't made for traveling by myself." She gestures at her muscle-less arms and clothes that are just a bit too nice to be worn while traveling for days at a time. "So I've been looking for a group to help me out. You know, safety in numbers and all that."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I see," Stolos replies, resting his hand on the hilt of his gladius. "If you wish for a cohort's protection on the road and have the coin, I'm sure Hara, our leader, would be open to entering into a contract. Arriving in the city, we are now free of our obligations to our last employer," he says.

Merchant guard duty isn't exactly the type of work or clientele we were hoping to attract with the number of Jenore in the city for the Calling. Still, Hara might see some merit in it as a back up option, he thinks.
Eintei

Post by Eintei »

Ah, yes. If only I had that coin. Cassia shakes off that cynical thought. Just get your foot in the door, she tells herself. We'll take it from there.

"That would be great. Thank you so much!"
She hops from one foot to the other, trying to get rid of that rush of anxiety that now courses through her veins. She hopes it looks like excitement. "Can we go now, or did you still have other things to do here?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"The cohort is likely spread throughout the city by now, but I suppose we can try. There's a chance Hara is still in the plaza near the gates, or at least nearby," Stolos replies to the woman. Better to try and get this over with. I'd rather not be followed around all afternoon, he thinks.

"What did you say your name was?" The musician asks as he starts to walk in the direction of the city's entrance.
Eintei

Post by Eintei »

"Perfect! Thank you!" Cassia beams. Okay, that gives me until we've found this Hara to come up with a plan.

"I'm Cassia, Cassia Isaurica. And what is your name, mister minstrel?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"I am Stolos of Bragoci," he replies, puffing his chest out and resting his hand on the pommel of his gladius. "I'm sure my reputation precedes me."
Eintei

Post by Eintei »

OOC
Just so I have a frame of reference: how well-known is Stolos exactly? As in, is it reasonable to assume that Cassia (who's spent most of her time in the capital except for the odd trip, but who did spend most of her life mingling with rich people at parties and what not) has (vaguely) heard of him before, or could Stolos be slightly exaggerating how well-known he is?
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Lyseros
You weave your way through the packed crowds for the Wilted Rose. It is a rather upscale tavern, its manicured facade overshadowing the other businesses flanking it along the plaza row. Already you see a line out the door, likely for food or drink. You excuse your way through them. Inside, you find it just as packed as you'd thought. Servers carry trays of bread and wine to full tables. Patrons stand where they cannot sit — chairs or benches in constant demand amidst their low supply.

The bar is being worked by a burly man, sweat beading from his shaggy hair. Mirroring his efforts are a pair of tired-looking assistants. Beyond them is a second counter, likely for the inn service. A young woman is busy folding linens, but seems otherwise unbothered by patrons.
Cassia
In fact, Stolos of Bragoci's reputation does not precede him. You do know of Bragoci, and have likely been there once or twice in your travels, but the man's name does not stand out to you.
Stolos
OOC
As a result of your performance, you are given a total of 11 sp from a mixture of cohort members, commoners, merchants, and the occasional wealthy-looking traveler.

Going forward you can perform in this fashion for an hour, once per day, in any settlement you are in. Towns will provide half as much tips, and hamlets only a quarter.
As you lead Cassia away from the overcrowded Jiacus Square, you catch sight of Hara, Imhe, and Polinos entering the plaza. They are slowly weaving their way through the busy crowds.
Dravos
After wandering the Reach for an hour or so, you decide your best option for work is with Otho — a wheelwright searching for apprentice carpenters to aid him in meeting the increased demand for replacement wagon wheels from the vast amount of traveling folk here for the ceremonies.

You find his workshop, an otherwise unimpressive workshop tucked away in the sprawl of the Reach. The streets are backed up with a number of caravans. Beside them spans a long line of bored drivers awaiting their turn.

Otho invites you inside with bright eyes, his workshop already packed tight with two others: a young man and an older woman. He gives you a brief explanation of his process — as much as he can before his attention is stolen by a pair of wealthy-looking men who have taken particular issue with their service.

A mildly experienced woodworker yourself, you find you likely don't need much direction. You pick up a spare saw and plane and get to work.
OOC
Roll Craft/Dex or Int to see how long, how well, and how quickly you can churn out wheels and other goods for Otho.
Deimos & Atropos
The woman's eyes widen as Atropos speaks, her lips pursed in rapt attention. "Yes, very well," she says, nodding deferentially. "An obvious academic of the divine and arcane arts, then." She finally smiles.

"I believe you have the scholarship required to access our texts. You must understand: we cannot just allow any once-learned fellow into our libraries. Some of these documents are quite valuable, or I should say, invaluable. They cannot be replaced. We tend to get a lot of curious souls spilling over from the bath or dormitories, and I do my best to keep order. This way, please."

She leads you further into the library, towards a locked door. Withdrawing a key from her tunic, she unlocks it and allows you entry. Inside is a smaller chamber, though similarly filled with racks of scrolls and texts — albeit these ones are held within further locked containers. The woman hands you another key, this one smaller. "This should open the majority of our archive," she explains. "If you need anything further, please find me once more." She heads back out and closes the door behind you.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Spoiler
Craft/Dex [2d6]=8+3=11
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Ah! You're in luck, there they are," Stolos says, pointing out Hara and the others to Cassia. Continuing to lead the way, he attempts to make their own way through the crowd to intercept the others.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

As the woman leaves the pair of them alone, Deimos moves to walk toward the chairs. His hand hovers for a moment over Atropos' shoulder, but hesitates and instead just sits down. "I'm sorry for not stepping in back there, but I knew you could convince her." He says, and keeps his voice low. He relaxes in his seat, and looks around. "What are you going to read first? I hope there are lots of pictures, I want to understand, too." He says with a soft laugh, watching Atropos peacefully.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Eintei

Post by Eintei »

Cassia releases a breath of relief as Stolos' attention is drawn by his cohorts' leaders. Saves me having to lie about knowing him during our first ever conversation. "Oh, that was quick! Saves us a lot of walking." She follows Stolos through the crowd, trying to smile and wave as politely as possible at everyone that has to make way for them.