Amongst the Flames — IC

Postponed, upcoming, or otherwise inactive campaigns go here. Relive past glories, or help plan for future tales!
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Amongst the Flames IC

Post by Fialova »

Oh wow. Looks like the rumors or true. That or he has amassed a fortune by some legitimate means but still feels the need to hide it for some reason. Satisfied with the discovery, Cleo climbs back out of the pit and out of from under the rug.

"You were right, not very comfortable," she says to the other cat, before moving towards the other curtain to peek inside. What could be in here, I wonder?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Did you say M-Malachite Blades?" the woman asks, her tone turning more to anger. "You're one of them?" she shouts furiously. "You killed my husband! And my son! They're dead because of you people! Dead!" Tears rolling down her face, she slumps down to the ground. Still sobbing, she screams, "Murderer! You're a murderer!"
kalis5
Hm...
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by kalis5 »

Geral slowly retracts his arm and looks up at the building before him for signs anyone has taken interest. He looks back down to the woman before him.
"If that's the case, they are no Blades of mine. We do not tolerate the deaths of innocents on the job."

He looks to Eoli and motions to the building.
"Keep an eye out will you? Any ex-blades find out I'm here they'll bolt before we can deal with them."

The woman he bends down onto a knee, getting to her level.
"I'm sorry for your loss. I am, but those men should not cloud your judgement of the rest of my guild. We do not kill mindlessly. Please... There are men in this building that have done to others what has happened to you, and worse still. I am here to stop them. If they hear your words, they will rush down here, and I will never be able to stop them."
PureZaros
The Enigma
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by PureZaros »

At first apprehensive at Geral's openness, Eoli quickly realizes that this woman is not the threat that he thought she was as she collapses to the ground, sobbing. She's just as much a victim as us. He still winces at the volume of her screams, though.

Nodding in response to the mercenary's directive, Eoli tuns his gaze to the greater part of the building, scanning windows and the like for signs of interest in the courtyard.
MECHAINCS
[SHOW]
Perception check, if needed: 17
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"H-how can I trust you?" she says, tears still streaming down her face. "For all I know, you could be a sick liar!" Wiping the tears away, she adds, "But if what you say is true... then they're here? The people I'm looking for?"
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"To be honest, we're not sure if they're here either." Eoli says, still scanning the temple's various entrances and windows. "We only just heard the rumors today, and we're trying to confirm them."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Geral nods to Eoli.
"I understand that you don't trust me. But they are inside the building. Or at least so we think. The High Priest is supposedly hiding them, and I am honorbound by my guild to root them out, if they are here at all. At the very least, let us know your name. Perhaps we can help each other."
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
The other room appears to simply be a small storage room. It is filled with chests and pots.
Shira
[SHOW]
Jandar leads you through some of the main rooms of the temple, oblivious to the fact Cleo is missing, as he gives a detailed tour. However at the main altar to El-unod he finally turns around and sees. "Oh. Where did Katrin go?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Hmph, boring. Cleo dashes back out of the room and into the hallway, looking ahead to see which way she could go next. If I were bandits, where would I hide?
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"It's Juliette," she says to Geral, a hint of skepticism still in her eyes. "I'm from Imardin if you couldn't already tell. Now who is he?" She points at Eoli and adds, "I've heard about what some of the orcs do here, so he better not be one of those brutes."
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

"Well, you can't believe everything you hear. Eoli is certainly nothing like whatever you may have heard, if anything he's one of the most intelligent and peaceful people I have met. A welcome relief in my line of work really." He looks over to Eoli and smiles. Thinking about all of his companions, most at least have their heads int he right place, and they are skilled in combat. A good group to be with.
"Anyways, it's nice to meet you Juliette, I am sorry for that some members of my guild have colored your view of us. If you have any questions for me, I would be happy to answer them."
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Eoli nods in response to Geral's comment, though he continues scanning around the courtyard. He can't help chuckling a bit, however. "Those are the nicest words I've heard in a while, Geral. Normally it's 'Hey, move you damn half-breed!', or 'Please don't eat me!' in response to a request for directions." He sighs. "The old folk don't get any respect."

Breaking the cycle of his eyes for a moment, Eoli looks at the woman. "Though I am surprised. Our circumstances are similar, Lady Juliette. Alas, I'm too jaded... literally." He pauses for a moment, looking at his arm. "To profess the capacity for comforting a victim of violence such as that. Suffice to say that I know your pain."

With that said, he turns his attention back to the courtyard.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"So, assuming all of what you say is true... Does this mean you'll help me? I believe that revenge is in order," Juliette says, a wicked grin on her face. "Those men can't get away with what they did to my husband and my precious little Claude."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
There are several doors along the corridor which ends with the staircase back downstairs. At the staircase the corridor turns to the left.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Cleo dashes to the end of the hall, ignoring the other doors for now, and takes the left turn at the staircase.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
The corridor around the corner is almost identical to the previous one. With doors along the sides and one at the end of the corridor.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Hm, the end one must be important as well if the High Priest shares the other. She runs down towards it and tries to nuzzle it open like she did the last one.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
The door opens easily, revealing a sizeable library. The room appears to be deserted and rather dusty. A sign on one of the nearest bookcases reads "Archives".
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Shira'stasa doesn't blink at the man's question, knowing that it would come up eventually. "I'm not sure," she says vaguely, not technically lying. "Perhaps she went to find the bathroom," she concludes. "Will the High Priest be here tonight? I'd love to at least just say hello after learning so much about this wonderful temple," she says to the man to try and distract him.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Oh wow, there are so many of them! Ugh, but I can't stop now, I said I'd snoop. Maybe I can come back later, say I stumbled upon it when I got lost in the hall. Yes, good plan. She makes her way around the room slowly and deliberately, attempting to check in any nook or cranny that may suggest a secret corridor.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception: 6 ._.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

"Don't be too ready for bloodshed. I understand, you want vengeance, but don't forget why you are doing this. The last thing you want is to become like them."
He knows his words are probably falling on deaf ears, but he'd rather not see more people such as these honor-less bastards created through their own destruction.

"Currently we are waiting for one of our other allies to let us know if they are indeed there. once that's done... Well... We will have to decide our next course of action. This is a High Priest, we cannot simply rush in without precedent."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
You search the archive room as best you can, but you fail to find any indication of a hidden room or passage way.
Shirastasa
[SHOW]
"Ah I see," Janadar says, seemingly satisfied with Shira'stasa's answer. "He should be here, although he is probably in his quarters and recently he hasn't liked being disturbed."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Hmph, boring. Cleo leaves the room, planning to come back as quickly as she can, and takes the next door to her right, squeezing through if possible and hoping there is no one there she has to act cat-like around.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
The door is locked.
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

"Geral speaks true, Lady Juliette. Vegneance for the sake of revenge is no way to go about this." Eoli says, agreeing with the mercenary. "However, if it comes to it I will not hesitate to help you end these people."
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

I guess I have to be a real cat after all. What would a temple lock away? She begins to claw at the door, something that would be easily noticeable to anyone inside. Occasionally she meows a curious, playful sort of meow that would make anyone cave and let the cat making it inside for some love.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
There is no response.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Maybe if I meow louder. She begins to do so, hoping that it will catch the attention of anyone who may be hiding inside. Wake up and let me in.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Cleo
[SHOW]
You hear grumbling from within the room and the door soon opens violently, revealing a large man dressed in leather armour. "Get lost!" He says, taking a kick at you, luckily missing, and slamming the door.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Armor, huh? What does a priest need of armor? I bet the bandits are hiding inside of there. Glancing around and seeing no one in sight, Cleo quietly reverts to her human self and grabs at a pint of oil from her pack. She coats the door in it and places the empty jar back in her pack, before snapping her fingers to send a spark towards the now highly-flammable wood.

With the door ablaze, she quickly returns to her cat-like appearance and dashes down the hall towards the stairs. Now time to go find the others. She runs until she spots Shira'stasa and the priest, before looking for a secluded spot to once more regain her human shape.

Back as her normal self, she moves towards the pair. "Oh wow, I thought I'd lost you," she begins, sounding relieved. "I don't know how, but I was looking at some of the carvings along the corridor and I must have missed you walking away. This place can be so confusing." She gives a sheepish smile aimed at the man, hoping it is enough to ease any suspicions that might have arisen during her absence.
OOC
[SHOW]
Refluffing using flint in steel as her making sparks with her fingers due to pyromancy training, hopefully this is fine by you.

I also did this post assuming the hallway would be mostly empty and that you don't want to have to reduce this all to a bunch of small back and forth posts as we have been doing, but if you intend for some obstacle to block part of this then tell me and I can change it.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Shirastasa and Cleo
[SHOW]
"Ah there you are," Jandar says noticing Cleo. "That okay, it is an interesting place. I live here and I still find myself amazed by it occasionally. There's a few things in the courtyard you might not have noticed before, why don't I show you?" He says before leading you back out into the courtyard where you see Eoli and Geral talking to a young woman.
Eoli Geral and Juliette
[SHOW]
You hear the sound of glass breaking and see a small amount of smoke rising about the temple from that direction. A few moments later you see Cleo and Shira'stasa emerging from the temple with Jandar.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Sure, that sounds lovely," Cleo says with a smile. This guy is too easy.

Once outside she spots the others. Well, best to seem as surprised as he probably is to see them. "Weird to see people out this late. Is it common practice to visit the courtyard at night?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"You try telling me revenge isn't the answer when your spouse and child are dead. Not to mention I lost most of my gold I brought with, and this gypsy bitch stole my travel papers, so I'm stranded here. I want revenge," Juliette says devilishly.

Noticing the smoke emerging from the temple, Juliette's eyes widen and she says, "What's going on? Is that a fire?!"
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Geral looks to Juliette, understanding but still feeling as if her anger has clouded her judgement. Perhaps that will change with time. For now... He rushes over to Cleo and Shira'stasa with their priest friend, deciding to take the stance of a good samaritan.
"Is everyone ok here? We could see the smoke from down the street, is everyone out of the building already?"
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Cleo looks over to Shira'stasa and Jandar, feigning surprised eyes, then back at Geral. "What do you mean, sir? We are just out to look at the courtyard, this nice priest is giving me and my friend a tour. What's this about smoke? Is something wrong?!"
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Geral looks at her, surprised, or at the very least pretending to be.
"You didn't notice? There's smoke coming from the windows! It looks like the whole place is on fire right now! Priest, how many others are still inside?"
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Inside? I don't really know. Are you sure there's a fire? We didn't see anything..." Jandar says turning his head to look at the temple. "I don't see any sm-" Jandar begins before stopping mid sentence as a group of men appear on the roof.

They drop down into the courtyard where the glow from inside illuminates them. There are six of them, all dressed in armour and visibly armed. "Who the hell are you people?" One of the men asks aggressively.
Cleo
[SHOW]
You recognise the man who spoke as the man who tried to kick you earlier while you were in your cat form.
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

When the priest pauses, Geral turns his head up to see what the priest is looking at, noticing the men as well, silhouetted in the night. When they jump, Geral watches as the two men drop from the roof, a hand going to the blade at his side from instinct, and even as they speak he continues to hold his blade, unsure of them. He doesn't notice anything odd about them... Besides their leaders aggressive words, but he decides to keep with the act he's been using so far. The man he feels may be their leader was way too aggressive towards them to have come out of a fire, and the fact they dropped from the roof is off as well. If there was a fire, and they were part of the priesthood, they'd be asking for help, not being so threatening.
"As I was telling this priest here, we saw the smoke from the building and came to assist. Is the fire bad?"
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Perception Check: 6(1d20) +1 = 7
Insight Check on the mercenaries: 14(1d20) +6 = 20
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Shira'stasa's eyes narrow at the aggressive manner of the lightly armored men who have dropped from the roof to investigate. She grips her codex tighter and speaks up in response to the question. "Just tourists, mister," she explains with innocence in her voice, like Cleo's. "This priest was showing us the grounds when we noticed the fire. Is everybody alright?" she asks, sounding genuinely worried. Cleo, what did you do?!
PureZaros
The Enigma

Post by PureZaros »

Geral has quite the active imagination. The whole building can't be on fire from just that smoke. Eoli thinks, paling slightly as he realizes that there is, quite possibly, a fire raging out of control in the temple somewhere. He raises his hand, about to correct the mercenary, but the sudden appearance of six armed men makes him hold his tongue.

As the others parley, Eoli slowly brings his hand to his brow, sighing heavily. By the Dragon, I didn't want to deal with something like this right now...
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Tourists?" The man asks loudly. He looks at each of the group in turn. His eyes widen at the sight of Geral. "He's no tourist. He's a malachite blade!" He says, drawing his weapon, the others following suit.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Roll Initiative
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"I don't know who that guy is, or who the Malachite Blades are, but if you're going to start fighting would you mind doing it somewhere else? We're trying to look at this lovely courtyard, here," Cleo says, not keen on giving up the ruse just yet. I wonder how they can tell just by looking at him, he doesn't seem that memorable.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Initiative, if still necessary/for when it is: 9
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Concealing a sickle beneath her clothing, Juliette narrows her eyes at the men. Well it looks like they were here after all. If they want a fight, I'll give them a fight! Those bastards deserve death.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Init: 9(1d20) +4 = 13
kalis5
Hm...

Post by kalis5 »

Geral turns and sees them arm themselves. Well, looks like he's a bandit detector, just send him out and any bandits nearby come straight to him. He sighs and brings his blade to bear, getting ready for the fight.
"The troubles of being a Fuller... They won't leave until either I'm dead, or they're beaten. If you two wouldn't mind, I'd suggest getting the rest of those in the temple out and then coming back to break up the ensuing fight. If you don't mind... I'd do it myself but uh... Well. I'm honorbound to ensure these men don't harm anyone else."
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Initiative: 6(1d20) +1 = 7
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Without words, Shira'stasa cracks open her tome to a page filled with divine scribblings, her right hand forward in a menacing fashion. "I'll give you one chance to stand down and one chance only, before I incinerate the flesh from your bones and return you to the sands beneath us!" she cries out in a terrifying and booming voice that seems arcanely influenced.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Initiative: 9(1d20) +6 = 15

Arcane Mutterings, using my Arcana score for an Intimidate check: 14(1d20) +13 = 27
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Two of the men drop their swords and sprint out of the courtyard in fear, leaving just four of them still facing off against the group.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Ignoring the men for a moment, Cleo turns to Jandar. "Why are there angry men with swords hiding out in there? Are they priests? They seem really aggressive."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Not as far as I know. I've never seen this people before in my life," Jandar says to Cleo before stepping towards the men. "Please lay down your weapons, this is a place of wors-" he begins to plea, however he is cut short as one of them steps forwards and drives their sword through the Priest's stomach.
Map
[SHOW]
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As she helplessly watches the man gutted before her eyes, something clicks and Cleo's rage begins to build, the air heating up around her as it does. Without a word, she rushes in between the men and leaps into the air, whirling around in a frenzy aimed at no one of them in particular.

Once she has finished, and her mind slightly more clear, she turns her attention to the man who killed the priest and delivers to him personally yet another blow. You will all burn.
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Minor Action: Sarifal's Blessing
Effect: I activate an Aura 2 until the end of my next turn. Enemies inside the aura are vulnerable 5 to my fire attacks and allies inside it are resistant 5 fire.

Move Action: Blistering Flourish Movement Technique
Effect: I move to (G, 8). Enemies that hit me with OAs resulting from this move take 5 fire damage.

Standard Action: Masterful Spiral on Bandit Leader, Bandit 1, and Bandit 2
Attack vs Bandit Leader: 21 vs Reflex
Attack vs Bandit 1: 17 vs Reflex
Attack vs Bandit 2: 12 vs Reflex
Hit: 25
Effect: I enter the masterful spiral stance, which increases my reach for melee touch attacks by 1.

Action Point: Light the Fire on Bandit Leader
Attack: 25 vs Reflex
Hit: 15 fire damage +5 from vulnerability = 20.
Effect: I activate an Aura 1 until the start of my next turn. Enemies starting their turn in it take 5 fire damage.
Combat Block
[SHOW]
Tn. Cleo

Female Hengeyokai Monk 2
Languages: Serran, Imardanian
Height: 4' 11"
Weight: 106 lbs.

Speed: 7
Climb Speed (as a cat): 7
Initiative: +6
Passive Perception: 11
Passive Insight: 11
Senses: Low-light Vision

AC: 20
Fort: 13
Reflex: 17
Will: 15
HP: 29/29
Bloodied: 14
Surge Value: 7
Surges left: 8/8
Action Points: 0

MBA: +11 vs AC, 1d8+6 damage. (+1 damage to bloodied targets)
RBA: +11 vs AC, 1d4+6 damage. (+1 damage to bloodied targets)

Resistances:
5 Fire

Vulnerabilities: None
Saves:
+2 vs immobilize, restrain, or slow

Active Effects:
+2 to checks to escape grab
+5 to bluff vs insight to discover I am not human

Powers:

Nature's Mask
Desert Wind Flurry of Blows
Blistering Flourish
Five Storms
Agile Recovery

Second Wind [_]
Sarifal's Blessing [X]
Light the Fire [X]

Masterful Spiral [X]

Consumables:

None
Important Features:
[SHOW]
Mental Crucible: I gain resist 5 fire (or +2 if I already have resist fire of 5+)

Unarmed Combatant: unarmed attack has +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage, unarmed group, can be affected by ki foci. Must have a free hand to use it.

Unarmored Defense: +2 to AC when in cloth armor or no armor and not using a shield.

Full Discipline: Can only use one full discipline power per round, but can use it as many times as the power would allow (at-will's any number of times in a round, encounters once per round, etc.) Can use full discipline techniques in whatever order I like, and if I spend an action point I can choose a different full discipline power.

Beast Nature: I am considered both a magical beast and a humanoid.

Elusive: +2 racial bonus to checks made to escape grabs and to saving throws against effects that immobilize, restrain, or slow me.

Fey Origin: I am considered Fey.

Language of Beasts: I can speak to and understand natural and fey felines in my hybrid or animal form, and understand but not speak to them in human form.

Shapechanger: I am considered a shapechanger.

Ki Focus Expertise: +1 to damage with ki focus vs bloodied targets.

Unarmored Agility: +2 to AC when in cloth armor or no armor.

Internalize the Basic Kata: I use Dexterity instead of Strength for my MBA rolls when using my Monk Unarmed Strike. My Flurry of Blows can trigger on an OA made with my Monk Unarmed Strike.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Encounter 5

As Cleo moves amongst the bandits, one of them lashes out at her however she easily dodges the attack. Her frenzied attack hits the leader of the bandits along with one of his underlings.

Go: Shira'stasa
Mechanics
[SHOW]
Cleo moves, hits, hits, misses. OA from Bandit 1 misses.
Map
[SHOW]
Map Info
[SHOW]
Fountain: The fountain in the centre of the courtyard is impassable terrrain.
Plants and Benchs: Difficult terrain.
Enemy Info
[SHOW]
Bandit Leader: His demenour so far suggests he is in charge. He looks larger, stronger, and more battle hardened that the others.Bandits: These men are less well armed than their leader, but if they are ex-malachite blades then they'd by no means a trivial threat.
Status
[SHOW]
15 Shira'stasa (D, 14) | HP: 27/27 | Surges: 3/7 | AP: 1/1 |
14 Bandit Leader (G, 10) | HP: -45/?? |
13 Juliette (M, 12) | HP: 33/33 | Surges: 9/9 | AP: 1/1 |
11 Eoli (K, 13) | HP: 30/30 | Surges: 8/8 | AP: 1/1 |
10 Bandit 1 (E, 8) | HP: -25/?? |
10 Bandit 2 (I, 10) | HP: ??/?? |
10 Bandit 3 (J, 8) | HP: ??/?? |
9 Cleo (G, 8) | HP: 29/29 | Surges: 8/8 | AP: 0/1 | Aura 2 EONT fire, enemies inside are vulnerable 5 to fire attacks and allies are resistant 5, Aura 1 SONT enemies starting their turn in it take 5 fire damage, +1 reach
7 Geral (K, 12) | HP: 31/31 | Surges: 11/11 | AP: 1/1 |