The 2nd Fleet: Journey to the Edge of the Known World — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie stares out in awe as the breathtaking horizon unfolds in front of him. This is really it... Our people's homeland. Gods, the tales were true. He notices the chest and carefully lurches towards it, watching his footing and attempting to secure and open it.

Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

Louie
You reach forward and manage to grab a hold of an iron handle on one end of the chest. However as you do, the tower groans and creaks. The damaged planks the chest sits on give way and the chest drops. You are able to keep yourself stable on top of the platform, however the chest is heavy and you are only holding it with one outstretched arm.
Mechanics
Make a Strength check to see if you can hold on to the chest and pull it back up.
Everyone Else
Louie disappears up onto the top of the tower and a few moments of silence pass. However the silence is broken by the crack of splintering wood, as you see a pair of broken planks come tumbling down to the ground from the top of the tower. Looking up you can make out Louie reaching over the edge of the tower with one hand, holding on to a dangling wooden chest.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie grits his teeth, attempting to keep a grip on the chest before it plummets to the ground below. His arm strains and his strength nearly gives out, feeling the chest begin to slip from his sweating grasp. Damn it, c'mon Louie. With a grunt and a hefty breath, he manages to hoist the chest back onto the platform. Thank the gods... He lies back flat on the tower for a moment, regaining his breath, before sitting upright and opening the chest.
Mechanics

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Louie
The chest's latch is stiff from disuse but you are able to work it free and open the chest. In side you find several items, suggesting these are possibly someone's personal effects.

In total the chest contains; a simple brown leather bound journal, a wooden box about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide, a small velvet pouch, a simple steel dagger, a hempen rope, a pair of thick leather gloves, and an arrowhead made of a strange black metal which has a dark crimson sheen to it.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie raises a brow as he pulls out the bound journal from the chest, tempted to file through it before he remembers his surroundings. Maybe this'll shed some light on things. He tucks it and the other personal effects into his backpack, double-checking to make sure he didn't miss anything, before starting his climb down.

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

From the ground you see that after a moment Louie is able to pull the chest back up on to the top of the tower. He then soon reappears, making his descent before re-joining you at the foot of the structure.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie takes a breather for a moment once his feet are on the ground again, shaking his head as the past few minutes swirl back in his mind. That could've gone a lot worse. Taking off his pack, the elf lays out his findings on the ground before the group: a simple brown leather bound journal, a wooden box about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide, a small velvet pouch, a simple steel dagger, a hempen rope, a pair of thick leather gloves, and an arrowhead made of a strange black metal which has a dark crimson sheen to it.

"Found these in a chest up top. Figured I'd wait til we were together to look more closely," he says, eyeing the journal and box in particular. "As for the view, well..." He gives Tristan and Caoihme a glance. "You know the descriptions our ancestors gave in legend, yes? Of trees a thousand feet high?" He pauses for dramatic effect, looking back at the horizon. "They're real. I saw one in the distance."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"You move so quickly," Zima says, having been caught off-guard by the elf's nimble ascent. I am glad he did not slip, for I am not sure if I could have caught him.

The Kandoran takes out a thin shawl from her pack, flattening it into a square and placing it underfoot. She helps Louie carefully lay out his findings atop it, taking great care in handling them — as if they were fossils, or artifacts from a long lost civilization. As she does, she marvels at his words. "I should like to see these trees myself. It was only years ago that the trees of Voreld took my breath. Can these truly be so tall? To touch the upper reaches of the skies..."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by BartNL »

"Well done. There is no lingering magic here to suggest what has passed; but that notebook might hold some clues."
Before picking it up, Ilmoto checks the items for traces of magic. If there are none he picks up the notebook.

Spoiler
[1d20+12]=6+12=18 Arcana check if needed.
Last edited by BartNL on Tue May 30, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin took a while to consider the lack of magical residue in the area, being pulled out of his stupor as he saw Louie's near drop of the chest. "Well done, I must say. Well, Ilmoto? Is the book safe?"
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Ilmoto
While maybe of the items appear mundane, you detect two magical presences, emanating from the arrowhead and the wooden box.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I hope so, Ilmoto says with a smile as he picks up the notebook and opens it. The arrowhead is enhanced for certain, and more interestingly, so is the box."
Ilmoto starts skimming thorugh the notebook starting at the front the see who it belonged too, and then going through it in reverse chronological order.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Ilmoto
You open the journal searching for any indication of who it belonged to. Scrawled inside the cover of the journal you spot a name and it is surprisingly one you recognise - Tyblis Iarro - a half elf and fellow member of the Explorer's Guild. Tyblis was assigned to the Explorer's Guild's contingent on the 1st Fleet.

Unfortunately however, as you skim through the journal, you discover he wasn't too concerned with recording the events of the 1st Fleet's arrival in Quellam. Many of the completed pages simply consist of sketches and notes on many new species of birds. One page near the rear of the journal does catch your eye though. A rough sketch appears to show the rough outline of the coast and surrounding area of the camp, however a location in the foothills of the mountains to the South-East is marked with a large X and annotated with the word "Discovery".
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima nods at Ilmoto's warning, taking hold of the box. With great care, she peers down at the construction, looking for a way to open it.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

While Zima examines the box, Taliesin approaches it as well, tilting his head as he contemplates. "Do you mind if I take a look? I want to examine the magic further. If it was harmful magic, I wouldn't dare let anyone else take a chance on that." He said, not really sure what the effect was, but being careful about it. 
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Zima and Taliesin
Examining the box more closely, it appears to be of a simple design devoid of any intricate metal working or carvings. The lid appears to be held in place with a simple metal clasp with no locking mechanism, meaning it should open easily.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"The notebook is mostly of interest to ornithophiles, but it also contains a map of this area with a place nearby marked 'discovery'. " Ilmoto says passing the notebook to whomever may want to see it.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Oh," Zima says, startled at the thought of any malicious enchantment on the wooden box. "Yes, you had better." She hands it toward the historian, turning to listen to Ilmoto. "I would like to see it. It would be smart to learn what beasts of the sky we might encounter here."
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin nodded and with a slight hesitation, he took the box and knelt down with it, and then opened the box slowly. He mentally prepared himself for whatever could be inside, ready to defend himself.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie takes a half-step away from Taliesin, bracing for whatever might happen once the box is opened. I guess it can't be any worse than what's happened so far. Maybe the entire First Fleet got shrunken down and locked within? His head turns to Ilmoto in the meantime, raising an eyebrow at what he's shared. "Discovery is about as vague as you can get. But that sounds as good of a place as any to search."
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Taliesin's caution appears to have been for nothing, as he opens the small box without incident. Inside, nestled in a plush velvet interior, sits a silver device that bears the resemblance of two spyglasses joined together. The metal is worn, likely through many years of use, however in places you can still make out the decorative etchings of several feathers.
Mechanics
Binoculars of the Ornithologist
Level 3
Value: 680 gp
Item Slot: Wondrous Item
Enchantment: Gain a +2 bonus to perception checks involving objects at a distance when using the binoculars. The bonus increases to +5 if the object is in flight.
Rarity: Uncommon
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima's eyes widen at the device, noticing the feather etchings. "May I?" she says, looking up at Taliesin for permission. Oh, the beasts of the sky we could witness with these...
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie glances over the binoculars, frowning slightly as he notices its state of wear after so long. Stings to see such craftsmanship returning to the elements. "I've no qualms if you wish to use them," he offers Zima with a shrug. "Better they get use instead of rusting away."

FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin opens the box and lets out a soft sigh, observing the device. "Intriguing device... spyglasses? Interesting. Very, very interesting." He glances over at Zima and offers her the box, letting her take it. "Go ahead, let me know if they're worth it." He says, giving a nod.

OOC
The spoiler block in Jake's post has the stats for the Binoculars.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"I propose we make a plan before we set out for the discovery marked in the ornithologists notebook." Ilmoto says, trying to steer the discussion away from the double spyglasses.
info
How far away is this discovery?
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Ilmoto
As the crow flies, this Discovery, appears to be a little over 30 miles from your current location.
Updated Map
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Thank you," Zima says as she takes the binoculars from Taliesin. She places them to her eyes, peering out at the treeline, the skies, and all around for a moment. Curious, little device. I wonder if rich merchants use these upon their ships. They could spot danger from far beyond.

She stops her distraction for a moment, turning to Ilmoto as his sobering suggestion of exploring a distant landmark from the map. "A well-detailed plan," the seer agrees. "For now let us remind ourselves the task at hand is to secure this port. Might we continue searching the ruins, and perhaps scout the treeline for anything lurking beyond?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"A good plan, aye. Can hardly secure when danger sits just beyond our view," Louie says, confidence betraying the uneasiness lurking within him. "Let's get to it."

Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Caoimhe watches in anticipation as Louie braves the rickety tower, and sighs when he returns to the ground once more. Her eyes widen and a wide grin paints her face as he confirms that the legends of the megafauna of Quellam are true, not mere tall tales of their ancestors. Thoughts race through her head, remembering the tales she'd heard as a child of their homeland and the wonders it beholds. Her excitement grows as she imagines them now to all be truth, and that she is to be one of the first people to witness such things in person for centuries. All of her excitement as this revelation causes her to space out for a time, and when she catches herself, the others are discussing what to do next.

"Yes, yes, the discovery should be most intriguing, and I am sure they would have sought to investigate it as well. But we need to establish our own camp first, before venturing into this unknown forest. The legends tell of as much danger as they do awesome fauna and flora. We'd be unwise to go on without securing this area first." Turning to Zima, she can't help but to still wear a wide grin as she says, "I'd love to look through that book with you later. I can only imagine what wondrous creatures are mentioned in its pages."
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"I would love that too," Zima says, a soft smile showing on her face. A peaceful time to read by candlelight would do well to restore my spirits.

"That bridge there, and the cliffs overlooking the settlement appear to be the most dangerous points of an ambush. If we can make sure those are clear, I believe we should be safe to investigate the main building. Do any of you know how to scale a cliff-face?" the seer asks, nervously looking at the others — Louie most particular.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin grimaces as he looks up at the towering height of the cliff. He wonders if it's close enough to... he shakes his head. "I'm not much for climbing, and I don't think even my abilities would be strong enough to move me that far. Perhaps there's another way up there?" He suggests, looking around for another path.
Mechanics
Perception, looking for a way up the cliff besides climbing. [1d20+11]=17+11=28 not a bad roll :D wot do my elf eyes see? :D
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Taliesin
The cliffs are high and mostly a shear rockface. Despite your examination you are unable to see an easy path up them, which as least means there is also no easy path down for any would be ambushers. You are able to spot a series of flatter ledges, not far from the tents closest to the base of the cliff, which would probably provide the easiest route up - however it would still take a skilled mountaineer to make such a climb.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Louie gulps, looking up the cliff with clenched, clammy hands. His voice wavers a bit as he begins, "Uh... Without proper equipment, I'm not so sure that'd be easy..." The tower was one thing. At least that had a ladder.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"If the expedition is sending us out here to investigate, they must surely accede to any reasonable request for equipment we require. We only need ask," Zima reminds the unsure scout. "With how you scaled that tower, I am sure it wouldn't be too difficult a challenge — especially with some proper pitons and ropes."

She remembers watching the great climbing races of Peregozupale with her father, back when she was a child. With nothing but rope and the strength of their hands and feet, the city's best cavers would ascend the greatest of heights among their massive cavern system. How strange to consider now, how seemingly close to the world above they must have been at those peaks. Mere meters away from dirt and clay and loam and sea.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Perhaps we can leave the cliff face for once we have an established camp. And an infirmary," Caoimhe thinks, gazing up at the rockface above, admiring it for its size as well as the danger traversing it would pose. "The bridge seems interesting, though. There must be something of value across it if they took the time to construct a permanent crossing. I wonder where it leads." And if they used that to move more inland to another settlement.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Well, so long as you're not worried about danger from above," Zima says, uncertainty in her voice, only partially convinced by her partner. "Then let us see about this bridge." She beckons the rest of you in the direction of it.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"True, but," Louie says, hesitating to Zima. "Better to find someone more suitable. A cliff's way different from a rickety ladder." He nods to Caiomhe, hoping to turn the attention away from a dangerous ascent. "The bridge, yes. No small feat to build that, so maybe we'll find more clues."

Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

You make your way the short distance from the abandoned tower to the bridge. As you near it you are able to get a better sense of the small river that encircles the settlement on two sides. While far from a major waterway, it appears to still be wide enough and deep enough to pose a significant challenge in fording. It seems likely the bridge was constructed as the sole entrance and exit to the settlement, perhaps as a defensible position.

The bridge itself appears to have held up much better than the other structures, having weathered the passage of time as one would expect, losing only a couple of planks to rot. You can still see the outline of what was once presumably a dirt track leading out of the settlement still exists on the other side of the river, however from where you are it doesn't appear to continue particularly far into the jungle before it peters out.

Curiously there are many animal tracks around, suggesting they have been using the bridge to cross the river. The most common of which appears to be about the size of a human hand but three toed. A skilled tracker would likely be able to surmise more information from the tracks.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"A singular passage in, and out," Zima notes. "This should be quite defensible with a squadron of Order Knights." She turns to the others. "The area seems somewhat safe, for now. Should we report back to our superiors? Or might they expect us to search past this bridge?"
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Defensible from land, at least," Louie speaks up, remembering the large talon marks embedded into the camp's structures. "Probably best not to wander too far without letting our leaders know though. We've already lost enough. Best to be safer."
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Aye, the spot marked on the map is too far away for a quick excursion. Best to return to the ship for now. The open sea does not provide more safety than this place."
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Post by FinalTemplar »

Taliesin nods, looking out past the bridge, then back at his allies. "We should return to the ship and tell them of what we found. With the new information, we'll be able to make a better plan." He says, resting a hand on the hilt of his sword.

OOC
Taliesin is ready to return to the ship if everyone else is.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Very well," Zima agrees. "We shall explore the bridge and beyond another time. Besides, it will be good for the crew and other expedition groups to be on land again. We've all earned this."

And some of them never made it. We shall carry their names and faces in our minds as we witness this magnificent land on their behalf.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

As the others speak of their plans, Caoimhe marvels at the animal tracks near the bridge. Our first signs of the native fauna! How, what a discovery. What odd creatures must be living in this place? What wondrous appearances must they have? We should have brought an artist with us to sketch each one we come across, we could catalogue them all for future study. How exciting! As she nears them, she bends down to one of the odd three-toed tracks, focusing on it to see if it seems to her like any creatures she knows of from their homeland.

Mechanics
Nature to investigate the tracks for more info: [1d20+5]=2+5=7
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Caoimhe
Examining the tracks, you are unable to garner any more information regarding the type of animal that made them, however you do spot that the tracks continue towards the ruins of the large building back towards the coast.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

"Hey," Caoimhe says, half speaking and half yelling out to her companions. "Take a look at this. I don't really recognize what kind of footprints these might be, but look where they are headed," she continues, using one hand to point to the tracks, slowly following the ground in the distance before pointing towards the large building nearer to the coast. 

"Whatever creatures have been coming over this bridge, they seem to be heading in there too. We should be on guard, they could be there now, and could be hostile." If Kandoras has taught me anything, it is to always assume the wildlife is hostile, she thinks, shuddering slightly at some of her more grotesque memories of their past expedition.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Yes, we need to assume all wildlife is hostile and dangerous." Ilmoto adds in, having no doubt that his companion is thinking of the monstrous creatures of Kandoras.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Zima stops, listening patiently to her partner's words of caution. She frowns, worry present up on her brow. "Let us hope they are merely scavengers. Perhaps we should take another full circle around the fort before we report back? I would hate to have missed something that poses a danger to the offboarding parties."
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Seeing Caoihme uncertainty with the footprints, Louie kneels down to take a closer look at them quickly. What do we have here? Focused on the prints, he replies to his companions, "Our ancestors' stories alone should have led us to assume that, especially with them seeing to be closer to fact than fiction."
Mechanics
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

Louie
Examining the tracks, you are able to work out that the creature that made them, walks on all fours. Its three toed feet also appear to be clawed.

You are able to make out tracks of at least three different animals, suggesting they are social creatures.

The tracks vary in age, however some are very fresh likely from today, leading - as Caoimhe said - to the ruined building further back into the deserted camp.