Vaylar Rising — IC

Any campaign we're currently running goes here. Come in and join the fun!
ratwizard
A Wan Smile
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by ratwizard »

Reload, yeah, Antoine considers, glad to have a distraction from the sickness plaguing him. He swallows, his throat tight, as he remembers he didn't once touch his rifle except as a spear. Still missing the firing pin, too. Cautiously, he slings it over his shoulder alongside with the few others he'd managed to haul out.

"So what now?" he manages through strained breathing. "Didn't plan this far," he admits.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Sven shrugs, a sharp pain shooting through his shoulder as he does. "Lay low somewhere and rest, I guess. Maybe find a TV so we can see what the news is saying, yeah? Especially if something else happened tonight." Maybe some idiot blew his dick off with a firework. Happens every year.
Namelessjake
Plane Wings Sharp Like Katana

Post by Namelessjake »

"Nice job, a successful mission! Good riddance to both Vigol and Alegre, and yeah Thoras has a safehouse for us. We're headed there now," Jin replies as he continues to race through the city streets. The sound of sirens grows even more deafening, before two police cars blast past you headed for the museum.
OOC
Yes you could set up the heavy machine gun on its tripod pointing towards the back door in around a minute. Happy to say that's been done by one of you.
BartNL
Swampperson Prime
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by BartNL »

"What's our ETA? John asks Jin. "Let's prepare for the worst, and set-up that large gun we took. If we need to shake of any pursuer, we'll have one hell of a surprise. At worst, it'll keep us busy and help us familiarise ourselves with it." John says, still high and hyper on the drugs he took.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Safehouse, good," Antoine agrees, nodding to reassure himself. "Uh, yeah, I can help," he offers to John, happy for the distraction while he waits out the intense anxiety as a passenger to Jin's driving. "I think it went into Sven's bag."
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Post by greysigil »

"Limiting Right Shoulder Output." Jug outputs quietly, and the steam leaking from their shoulder slows to a faint trickle. "Agreed. Familiarizing Ourselves Will Be Helpful. However, I Am Unsure We Have Optimal Space For Operation." Jug adds, watching the others keenly, to learn and memorize the mechanisms.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"Just point it towards the doors. John tells the robot.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

"Cams were out, so shouldn't have anyone on our tail. But sure, better safe than sorry I guess," Sven says, fishing the haphazardly-packed gun from his bag. Thank fuck for elastic. "Someone else do the honors." He leans back, his whole body aching. Hope they've got meds at the safehouse... And a strong drink.
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"You've got about fifteen minutes. Maybe a little longer, I'll kill the lights and slow down once we're a bit further away," Jin replies, as another ambulance speeds past headed towards the museum, siren wailing and lights blaring.

You remove the heavy machine gun from Sven's bag and run through the motions of setting it up, placing down its tripod, leveling it, screwing in the gun's barrel, before feeding an ammo belt from its can into the receiver and pulling the charging handle to load the first round. The tripod stills a little awkwardly in the narrow aisle that forms the back of the ambulance, but you are otherwise satisfied you are familiar enough with the machine gun that you could set it up reliably going forward.

The ambulance's siren suddenly cuts out, and you feel it slow as Jin takes a corner, turning off the major roads and into the city's side streets.

"Nearly there," he says, able to talk at a normal volume now rather than shouting back to you. Those of you paying attention to your speed and directional of travel know you are further out now from the city's core, likely in one of the lower density neighbourhoods that make up Kasi'mela's outer regions. About another five minutes pass before you feel the ambulance come to a halt.

You hear a thunk on the rear door of the ambulance, before they are thrown open a moment later. "Good to see you all made it," Thoras says, scanning his gaze across the scene in the back of the ambulance. "Quite the haul too, I knew I was right to trust you with this mission," he adds, his eyes darting to the machine gun set up on the floor of the ambulance.

"Come come," he says, gesturing for you to exit the vehicle. "Bring everything with you, but leave your burners inside, the ambulance is going to be disposed of," he says, grabbing the machine gun for you and heaving it out of the ambulance.

"Things are still foggy but the word is Vibol is dead, along with Ethan Alegre along with several other military personnel. That sound about right?" He asks as you climb out of the back of the ambulance, stepping onto a patch of rough gravel that crunches beneath your feet.

Looking around you find yourselves surrounded by heaps of scrap metal and other refuse. The ambulance is parked next to a large machine of some kind, while a crane hovers overhead with what looks to be a large magnet hanging from its cable. About thirty metres away, behind Thoras, nestled between two large piles of scrap, you spot the warm glow of light spilling out of the windows of a makeshift building assembled from several old shipping containers that still show signs of once belonging to a now defunct Davonian shipping consortium from back in the days of the Commonwealth.
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

Antoine feels dazed as he climbs out of the ambulance, his mind a scrapyard of its own at the moment. Looks familiar, but I can't place it, he considers.

"Sounds about right to me. What'd we say, Jug, about a dozen went down?" The psychic pulls his burner compad from his backpack, tossing it into the back of the ambulance with a casual apathy. Glad to get that thing off me.

Shouldering his bag again, Antoine adjusts the straps of the few rifles slung over his shoulders, beginning to haul them toward the office. He casts an eye back toward Em as he walks, making sure she doesn't faint anytime soon.
greysigil
idk, that's pretty grey
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Post by greysigil »

"Deactivating Combat Mode." Jug outputs as the doors open and they recognize that they are out of immediate danger, and they step down after Antoine. They open a panel on their chassis, reach in, unhook the burner from their integrated compad, and set it down on the floor of the ambulance, before following the rest of the group. "Correction: Nineteen total casualties. Recitation: 4 Security Guards, prior to the assassination. The Target, Vibol, plus--" They pause again, before and after, and it almost sounds like they spit the name, "--Alegre. 9 Active Combatants, a mixture of bodyguards and soldiers. And 4 Civilians, one of which was killed by kinetic weaponry, the other three by laser fire, judging from the wounds they sustained." They rattle off in their monotone.
Active Characters
Atropos - #4f8596
VI-42016 "Jug" JUGGERNAUT - #c1545d
Katherine "Kate" Meecham - #ff6814
Ezra Wynter // MEDUSA - #91c886
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

"We had no chance to truly confirm the kills, so this is good news to hear". John responds with a smirk.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

Em winces as the vehicle comes to a halt, forcing herself now into a more upright position. She stands slowly, keeping one hand pressed against the bandages covering her still-fresh wounds, though finding the pain to have subsided somewhat since her application of the expired lift. Dropping her burner pad on the floor as she becomes fully upright, she slowly maneuvers out of the back of the ambulance after her companions, making her way towards Jug and leaning against him with her other arm. What a beast, this thing. Glad we had the Tug on our side, rather than chasing us down. Holy hell that would be terrifying.

"Main fucker's kicked it, that's all that matters," Em responds, as her companions list off the total casualties. "The others just decided to make it their business too, 'cept the few civlians that got caught in the crossfire," she continues, frowning as she recalls the one that died to her own fire. Poor bastard. Thought they were there for a fancy event, and now a casualty of our plans. Probably a piece of shit, but what if they weren't? Could have just been staff trying to make do. She frowns as she fails to prevent the feelings of guilt from taking over her mind for the time being, glancing back towards Thoras to await his next words.
Scratcherclaw
YUO ARE SMART

Post by Scratcherclaw »

Tossing his burner into the back, Sven shimmies himself out of the ambulance with his backpack hung around his shoulders once more. Fuck, my back is gonna be killing me tomorrow. Don't suppose Thoras arranged for us to get massages... He looks around the scrapyard, up toward the massive crane as his mind pieces things together. Yup, I've seen this movie. Good thing it's just burners and not bodies.

"Yep, and they won't get more than eyewitness accounts," he interjects, putting his hands on his hips proudly. "Shame their cams went down before everything happened."
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

Tristan is the last to exit the ambulance and tosses his burner into the vehicle as he makes sure he grabs his stuff. "Ammo, sniper rifle, pistol, revolver... My sense of self... Good." He says quietly, taking a deep breath, and looks back toward the others. "Anything else you need us to do, Thoras, or is this job complete?" He asks, not ready to relax quite yet.
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
Namelessjake

Post by Namelessjake »

"Perfect, it sounds like it couldn't have gone much better," Thoras says, a hint of a smile forming on his normally stoic face.

"With Vibol gone our own propagandists will be able to start laying the ground work for what is to come," he says. With all of you and your equipment out of the ambulance, Thoras gives a hand signal to the crane, which springs to life, picking up the ambulance with its magnet, slowly raising the bulky vehicle up off the ground. It lifts it up and into the machine, which begins to close in on the ambulance, crushing it. The crane powers down and a woman hops out of its cab, making her way over towards you.

"The job is complete, but I need you to stay here tonight, just until my sources can confirm your identities are still unknown," Thoras replies to Tristan over to sound of the ambulance as its metal frame twists and compresses in the crushing machine. "This is Tamiko, she owns this scrapyard," he adds, introducing the woman as she joins your group. She looks to be in her thirties, with short black hair and large geometric tattoo sleeves on her arms. Her face is dirty with grease and she wears dirty overalls.

"Hi," Tamiko says rather bluntly. "I've got some bunks set up inside - and a cache for your weapons," she adds, starting to make her way towards the shipping container structure. Following her inside, you find the building serves as an office and workshop as well as Tamiko's home. The workshop is a mess, littered with partially assembled and disassembled parts and tools. "Feel free to make use of my tools, just don't move anything. I know where it all is right now," the scrapyard owner says as she leads you inside, through the workshop and office, into her living area. 

"And this is you," she says. The living space is small but open plan, with a small kitchen in one corner and the rest of the room devoted to a bed and a living area. Several cots have been set up in the free floor space and the sofa has also been made up into a bed. "It'll be a bit tight but it should be ok for the one night. Bathroom and shower is through there," your host says, pointing out another door.

"On that note I will leave you to it," Thoras says, setting down the heavy machine gun on the kitchen island. "If you don't hear from me, you are free to return to your lives tomorrow. Leave the weapons and armour here though, Tamiko can keep it all safely hidden until you need it next. I will be in touch. Good work tonight." 

Thoras takes his leave and you settle into Tamiko's home, able to shower and change out of your clothes. The news channels say little of your exploits, only reporting that a curfew is now in effect, advising all citizens to stay at home. Eventually you are able to get some sleep.

"Beloved media personality Tobias Vibol was killed last night in a terrorist attack at the Kasi'mela Museum of Art and Histories," the newsreader says, delivering the news dressed in mourning black as a tribute to Vibol plays on the screen behind her. "Anarchist gunmen opened fire on the crowd at a new years eve party hosted by Tobias. He was unfortunately killed as he helped others make their way to safety. In all, fifteen people were killed, including all six of the terrorists who were quickly deal with by security forces."

"How's it feel to be dead?" Tamiko asks with a smirk, as she watches the morning's news report. 

"The authorities have stated the attack was unrelated to the explosion that also occurred last night outside the city's police headquarters. The explosion was due to a gas leak, thankfully no one was hurt. With the deaths of all the terrorists involved, the authorities believe there is no further threat to the public, however a mandatory nighttime curfew is now in affect and a number of checkpoints have been set up to monitor movement throughout the city in the interest of public safety."

"That explosion must have been what had the police preoccupied. Somehow I doubt it was a coincidence," Jin says with a smile.

The rest of the morning passes without any word from Thoras and you all eventually depart from the scrapyard, returning home. Six monotonous weeks pass as you go about your lives, blending back into law abiding society. The added security presence in the city remains in affect, as does the curfew, much to the chagrin of the city's inhabitants. Eventually though, your receive an urgent message from Thoras telling you to drop everything and meet at Tamiko's yard.
Mechanics
Level Up! You are now Level 2!

Over the course of the next few weeks, after your expenses you are each able to save up 1000 credits. Feel free to spend any of this on any gear if you wish (barring combat armour and weapons), or on modifying any of your equipment using Tamiko's workshop.

Someone can also roll a Dex/Fix check to see if the broken combat rifle can be repaired to working use. The other deactivated weapons can all now be assumed to have been safely reactivated with no check necessary.
FinalTemplar
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by FinalTemplar »

As they are dismissed, Tristan lets himself relax for a moment. He lets out an uneasy breath as he begins putting away the guns he brought back, packing in the ammo safely. "If my opinion is warranted, I think we should dismantle the guns and remove the firing pins. It's not that I don't trust Thoras or Tomiko, but I don't particularly trust a cache of weapons ready to fire with a decent pile of ammo next to them." He looks toward the others after carefully putting the sniper rifle in a case. "I apologize for my worry but I've seen things happen. Besides, putting the pins back in won't take long if they're still here when we return." He says, flourishing the revolver he pocketed and put to good use, placing it down on a table next to him. "And, it means if anyone else comes here to grab them, thinking they can just use them, they're effectively useless." He shrugs, leaning against a wall as he waits for a response. "Don't have to listen to me on that though, it's just an idea."
Active PCs
Caedus (#4080FF)  
Dessarius (#8e44ad)
Eridas (#4040FF)
Narciso (#FFBF00) 
Taliesin (#4040BF)
Tristan (#2980b9)
Velasco (#800000)
Deimos (#f39c12)
BartNL
Swampperson Prime

Post by BartNL »

Mechanics
Roll for hp: [2d6+2]=5+2=7
Foci:
Skils:
ratwizard
A Wan Smile

Post by ratwizard »

"Course it's warranted," Antoine says, frowning. "It's a good call, long as you can put them back in."

Later, he takes a shower and changes into clean clothes, happy to be rid of the blood and sweat and stain of violence. The psychic listens to the news report with rapt attention, a gnawing worry in his mind about the Diktat's investigation. Eyewitnesses only, and we didn't leave too many behind that weren't already running for their lives. I should see what Thoras or the others hear. Might be time to tell the folks what I'm up to.

Level 2
New Focus
Psychic Training-2. Save one skill point toward Telekinesis, to be used at level 3.

3 Skill Points
2x Teleportation-1
1x Reserved for now.

New HP
HP: [2d6+2]=5+2=7
Mechanics
Antoine is going to try and get some intel from Thoras or any of the other Vaylar Rising agents he'd met from his backstory. The goal is to ascertain how much knowledge the Diktat has on if there was a psychic angle to the museum massacre.

Intel check: [2d6]=9

If Connect/Cha, -1 for 8 total. If Survive/Cha, 9.
Fialova
Magical Liopleurodon

Post by Fialova »

narration tba based on mechanics/build decisions

Level Up!
Roll HP: [2d6+2]=8+2=10

Improve Attack Bonus: +0 -> +1

Improve Saving Throws: Physical: 14 Evasion: 14 Mental: 14 -> Physical: 13 Evasion: 13 Mental: 13

Gain Skill Points: +3, +1 to only be spent on non-combat skills. Spend 1 to boost Wis to 18, changing Mental save to 12. Spend 2 to gain Fix-1. Spend 1 to gain Shoot-0.

Gain Focus: tba, maybe Ace Driver from CWN? waiting on jake to choose.
Mechanics
gear/actions tba, based on focus choice